Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Death is all around us...

If you’ve been keeping up with my blog you know that this past week has been very interesting for me. But you don’t know the half of it. Another event that has occurred this week is why I have given this post the title it has. Let me explain.

Five years ago on July 15, my mother passed away. Four years ago on July 17, my father-in-law passed away. This week on July 15 my brother was admitted to the hospital and was hardly expected to make it through the day. And just this past Saturday, on July 19 my grandfather passed away.

So you see, I have been contemplating death a lot lately. And I have also been contemplating why the Lord does things like this. It just seems so uncanny that it all happened this week. Another interesting “coincidence” is that on Sunday in Relief Society the lesson was on death...

One of the questions asked was, “As you think of loved ones who have died or who may soon die, what gospel truths bring you comfort?” As I contemplated that I thought of my mother. I thought of my brother. As my sister and I stood by my brother's bedside on that first frightening day we wondered aloud where my mother was, and even as we wondered we knew the answer. She was right there of course. This was her son, her firstborn. Where else would she be? My answer to the question is that I am grateful for the gospel truth of the sealing power that binds families together forever. Even though she is gone from this life, my mother is still my mother and will always be my mother and no one can take her away. My mother has accomplished more through her death in bringing about a better life for her children. Her presence has been felt many times by different members of our family in their times of need. She is still living and so is my father-in-law and so is my grandpa. And I am eternally grateful for that comforting truth.

Yes, death is all around us, but so is life. Eternal life.

5 comments:

Michal said...

death is really just the stepping stone to eternal life. as much as we miss those loved ones who have left us in mortality, i know that they still play an active role in our lives. i have felt my dad's presence many times when we needed him to be there or when we really missed that he was not there. that is another tender mercy from heavenly father, is it not?

Jan said...

I have seen way to much of it lately. It bothers me alot. I sometimes wish it would stop. But I totally understand the Plan of Salvation. It is just the way we leave this earth. It has to be a part of this life. I know that it is such a comfort to know this to be true. I can't imagine not knowing that. That would be really hard.

Take care and prayers your way. And life is around us.

Kimberly said...

Oh how beautiful. Thanks for sharing those thoughts with us.

Nancy Face said...

This was so beautiful, and so true.

My brother passed away 4 years ago from an aggressive brain tumor, and my sweet sister-in-law still wears her wedding ring. It's not because she can't deal with the reality of his passing away. She just has no interest at all in marrying again. She says, "I'm still very much married...he just isn't here." She loves life and fills hers with service for others, but she looks forward to the day when she will be reunited with her eternal sweetheart. We are so blessed to have the knowledge that families can be together forever! :)

Suzanne said...

I'm sorry you lost your Grandfather this past week! ***hugs*** This will probably always be a difficult time of year for you. I agree, the knowledge of eternal life makes things like this bearable. Hopefully you have a time of peace in your life very soon!