Friday, September 11, 2009

911


Today, amidst the chauffeuring and running of errands I listened to the radio. The station I was listening to played some segments of radio and TV broadcasts for this day 8 years ago. I started thinking of where I was.

I was in my house, very pregnant. My mom was visiting. She was there to help with the baby when he came...which would prove to be a very long wait (he was 2 1/2 weeks late). We may or may not have been doing school with the kids. The phone range. My husband ordered me to turn on the TV. I turned it on and saw the devastating site of the towers on fire. While we were talking one of them collapsed.

Today the radio personality talked about how in the months after the attack flags were seen everywhere. Patriotism was running rampant. WE WOULD NOT FORGET.

Then he talked about how over the years the flags have disappeared and people have forgotten. Until they are reminded every year on the anniversary of 911.

But does patriotism have to be a big show? Do you have to have a flag outside your home, or a flag on your car, or in your window to show your patriotism?

Patriotism: pa·tri·ot·ism noun
Date: circa 1726

:love for or devotion to one's country


I think there are a lot of people who quietly love and show devotion to their country. And there are others who aren't so quiet...like the radio personality I listened to. And I am thankful for both.

Last year I studied the Constitution in depth. I studied the Founders in depth. This year I am studying the Civil War in depth. I am grateful that I am not one who was asked to give their life for liberty.

My gratitude for all those who have given theirs runs very deep.

4 comments:

Yvonne said...

I do not live in America right now, but I am so proud to be an American. I cry each and every time I heard The Star Spangled Banner.

I remember everything that happened that day and think about it quite often.

I remember being in New York a year later and going up to shake the hand of a firefighter and cried as I thanked him for all he and his fellow firefighters did that day and do every day. I'm grateful for all who give so much for our country.

Jami said...

Great post, Mindy.

Most people will remember the horror and heroism of 9/11 forever. Many realized for the first time how deeply they love the USA. Flags may have come down, but that love for America and our freedom is still there. It's in our hearts, not our bumperstickers.

Carrot Jello said...

:)

Jenny said...

Beautiful point. I've always thought that but didn't know quite how to verbalize it.